Trakošćan was added to the northwestern Croatian defense system in the late 13th century as a small observation fortress for monitoring the road from Ptuj to Bednja valley.
In the boom years of building castles in Croatian Zagorje, in the second half of the 18th century, Trakošćan was abandoned. Neglected, it began to deteriorate rapidly so just in the second half of the 19th century, the family reinvested in its estate in the spirit of the new era's romantic return to nature and family traditions. In this spirit, marshal Juraj V. Drašković transformed the surrounding park into a romantic garden. The next generation occasionally stayed in Trakošćan until they emigrated to Austria in 1944. Soon after, the castle was nationalized. Today the castle is owned by the Republic of Croatia.
The museum established a permanent exhibition in 1954. The large forest park on the shores of Trakošćan lake and the nearby spa hotel invite visitors to linger.
Photographs taken in 2014. © Donald Walter.